portrayed by Glenn Strange
Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein – 1948,
House of Dracula – 1945,or
House of Frankenstein - 1944
Manufacturer: Monsters in Motion
Sculptor: Jeff Yagher
This kit was a restoration I did for a client. It arrived built and
painted by someone with some knowledge of modeling. It was pinned,
primed and painted but that was about it. No effort was made to
correct any of the issues related to the poor casting. The feet did
not fit the sculpted areas of the base nor did the grave stones fit
snuggly into their openings, thereby leaving large gaps. There were
offset seam lines and pinholes galore that were covered by thick
coats of paint in a poor attempt hide them from view. A cursory
glance told me this dude needed some TLC in a bad way.
disassembled the kit back down to its original, separate, light blue
pieces; the body and feet were all one piece, the head, hands,
tombstones and base. I stripped them down and discovered several
layers of different paint schemes on the figure, one of which was
There were 2 big issues to handle on this restoration. The previous
builder had attempted to fill the gaps in the kit’s fit with sizable
amounts of glue. These had dried into heaps of stubborn slag that I
had to remove with a hammer and chisel.
other was the ridiculously poor fit of the feet into the base. The
sculpted areas were off by a ¼”. It looked as if the base had been
sculpted without referencing the figure. I’m assuming this was a
molding/casting issue because I find it hard to believe a sculptor
of Mr. Yagher’s caliber would have done such a poor job on this. I
decided use the left foot as the benchmark and worked off that
placement. I used my trusty Dremel tool to grind out the area for
the right foot. Once established, I installed new pins in the base
and re-sculpted the grass around the feet to give them a nice tight
fit. He now looks like he’s walking in the grass instead of on top
of it. I then re-sculpted the turf around the tombstones to fill
those gaps as well.
After the usual putty and sanding exercises, I primed everything in
a nice light gray dust coat to bring out all the imperfections I
missed on the first round. A little more putty and sanding, one more
shot of primer and it was ready for paint.
Once cleaned up, this kit revealed some very nice work by Jeff
Yagher that had been obliterated by the previous owners. Jeff does a
great job of capturing Glenn’s likeness and movement as the monster.
The pose is natural, not too stiff or stilted. It gives the painter
a nice piece to work on.
rendered the entire kit in acrylics using my airbrush and hand
painting the now visible, finer details. I’m very pleased with the
rebirth of this kit because now “It’s alive!!”